Reducing our environmental footprint and climate impact has long been one of the ORLEN Group’s top priorities. Our approach to management is based on the principles of corporate social responsibility and takes into account environmental criteria. We aim for sustainable development and we report the results of our environmental protection efforts.
The Environmental Protection Office is involved in PKN ORLEN’s environmental protection activities and ensures that they are carried out in compliance with the law. The responsibilities of the Environmental Protection Office include:
- Coordinating activities designed to implement identified legal requirements for obtaining required environmental permits;
- Carrying out environmental monitoring activities on PKN ORLEN’s sites;
- Supervising activities related to air quality analysis, including operation of the Company’s Environmental Inspection System;
- Coordinating and taking responsibility for activities related to monitoring, reporting and securing free CO2 emission allowances;
- Environmental reporting in accordance with the legal requirements and calculating and paying environmental charges;
- Issuing opinions and agreeing on environmental aspects of all development plans, investment, upgrade and maintenance projects at the ORLEN Group;
- Participating in environmental inspections of PKN ORLEN facilities carried out by external and internal authorities;
- Cooperating with public administration authorities with regard to formal and legal arrangements and fulfilment of obligations imposed by such authorities;
- Cooperating with environmental protection services of ORLEN Group companies, supervising the activities of ORLEN Eko;
- Supervising the scope and progress of remediation work at PKN ORLEN’s facilities; consulting and coordinating such activities at other ORLEN Group companies;
- Implementing and maintaining the leak detection and repair system (LDAR) at the Płock production plant and the PTA plant in Włocławek;
- Contributing to PKN ORLEN’s positive image through environmental education and protection of biodiversity. Our environmental objectives are set out in the Integrated Management System Policy.
Key ORLEN Group companies also have Integrated Management Systems or Environmental Management System Policies in place, incorporating a commitment to protect the environment, which includes preventing pollution, and hold all permits required by law for their operations.
Environmental initiatives are also carried out by the Water and Wastewater Management Office and the Power Generation Area.